Fort Frontenac

Fort Frontenac
Fort Frontenac.

In 1673, the first European settlement was built in Kingston. Fort Frontenac was built on a peninsula at the mount of the Cataraqui River. Initially, the fort was a wood palisade, but was rebuilt from stone in 1675. The fort was built by the French to support their fur trading enterprises in competition against the British. The French abandoned the fort in 1689, but rebuilt it in 1695.

Fort Frontenac
Old map of Fort Frontenac, 1685.

In 1758, the fort was attacked by British forces, who destroyed much of the fort. The fort was then abandoned for another quarter century. In order to protect United Empire Loyalists who settled in the area after leaving the United States, the British partially rebuilt Fort Frontenac in 1783. In 1787, the rebuilt fort became known as Tête-de-Pont Barracks. Many of the present buildings were built between 1821 and 1824.

Fort Frontenac
Fort Frontenac.

In 1939, the site was renamed back to Fort Frontenac. In 1948, the Canadian Army Staff College was moved to the fort from the Royal Military College, and became known as the Canadian Land Force Command and Staff College.

Fort Frontenac
K-Rock Centre.

Fort Frontenac
North-west corner of the old fort.

Map