Pembroke History

Pembroke
Built in 1889 as a post office, this building is now the Pembroke City Hall.

This town was first settled in 1828 by Peter White, a retired naval petty officer who served under Admiral Nelson and on Lake Ontario in the war of 1812. The early communities of Campbellton and Mirimachi were renamed Pembroke in honor of Admiralty Secretary Sidney Herbert, son of the Earl of Pembroke. In 1864, Pembroke was designated as the county seat of Renfrew County.

Pembroke
Now a bed and breakfast house, Grey Gables was once home of the Hon. E.A. Dunlop, former Treasurer of Ontario.

Pembroke has always been associated with the timber industry. But Pembroke is also known for its early developments of electrical power. The first commercial power plant in Canada was located across the street from the original post office.

Pembroke
Lockhart Residence, built in 1897 as a wedding gift for Isabella Munro and James Lockhart.

Pembroke
At right, Victoria Hall (built 1884) was Pembroke's original town hall.

Pembroke
An attractive old house.