Parliament Square

Crombie Park

To the east of downtown just north of the railroad tracks is a strip of condominium and apartment buildings. Unlike neighborhoods just to the north, this area is quite pleasant.

Parliament Square, at the foot of Parliament Street, was the site of the parliament buildings when the capital of Upper Canada moved from Niagara to York in 1793. Two single storey brick buildings were opened in 1798, and served for court proceedings and religious services as well as government business. The buildings were set fire during the occupation of York by American troops from April 27 to May 2 1813. The buildings were rebuilt by 1820, but in 1824 were destroyed in another fire. In 1832, the site was abandoned and new parliament buildings were built on Front Street, west of Simcoe Street.

Canadian Opera Company building
Canadian Opera Company building