Old Kingston Road

Old Kingston Road
Old Kingston Road, leading towards to Highland Creek.

Much of the history has been lost, ploughed under by the bulldozer of progress. But the rerouting of Kingston Road to the south has left a few historic buildings standing in this quiet corner of West Hill.

Old Kingston Road
Cemetery behind Melville Presbyterian Church.

The first Presbyterian church built in 1851 was replaced by the current brick building in 1877. In 1899, the manse was built nearby.

Old Kingston Road
Manse for Melville Church, at Manse Road and Old Kingston Road.

In 1902, the Melville Presbyterians invited members of neighboring Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian churches to discuss church union. Although the Melville Church is believed to be the first to take action with this movement, the church never joined the United Church of Canada, and remained Presbyterian.

Old Kingston Road
Richardson home on Old Kingston Road, now housing the offices of Wyers Direct Inc.

The above house was the home of James Richardson, who brought his family to Scarborough in 1824. The original cottage was bricked over and a second storey was added about 1860. James' eldest son John (1786-1875) and his wife Margaret raised two eminent sons, Dr. Samuel Richardson and John Hunter Richardson. The latter took over the family home after the death of his parents, became West Hill's first postmaster in 1879, and was Township Treasurer for 25 years (1896-1921). About 1904, he built a new house next door (see photo below), and his son John Henry lived in the old house until his death in 1976.

Old Kingston Road
Later Richardson home on Old Kingston Road.

Another son of James Richardson, Ezekial, and his wife Mary settled west of here and raised three distinguished sons, including John Richardson, Reeve of Scarborough from 1881 to 1894, and later a member of the Ontario Legislature.

J Richardson
John Richardson, Reeve of Scarborough 1881-1894.