Scarborough Album Rouge Beach Pond

Cornell House

Scar2.jpeg

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. August 2002.

The Cornell House now houses the Scarborough Historial Museum.

CORNELL HOUSE

BUILT IN 1858 ON MARKHAM ROAD IN SCARBOROUGH VILLAGE, THIS HOUSE WAS INHABITED FOR OVER 80 YEARS BY DESCENDANTS OF WM. CORNELL WHO CAME FROM RHODE ISLAND IN 1799.

INHERITED BY MATILDA CORNELL FROM HER FATHER CHARLES IN 1887, IT REMAINED HER HOME UNTIL 1944. IT WAS THEN ACQUIRED BY WM. LYE WHO OPERATED THE LYE ORGAN AND PIANO WORKS IN AN ADJACENT SHOP UNTIL 1961 WHEN THE PROPERTY WAS EPROPRIATED FOR A NEW RAILWAY BRIDGE.

IN 1962 THE SCARBOROUGH HISTORICAL SOCIETY WITH GENEROUS SUPPORT FROM THE WEST HILL-HIGHLAND CREEK LIONS CLUB AND TOWNSHIP COUNCIL, MOVED THE HOUSE HERE TO THOMSOM PARK AND FURNISHED IT IN THE STYLE OF A LATE 19TH CENTURY RURAL DWELLING.

ERECTED BY THE SCARBOROUGH HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Other pictures like this one can be found at Scarborough Album.